eWENR, September/October 1999: E. Europe and NIS
E. Europe & NIS
In April 1998, the Czech parliament passed a new higher education act. The law, which went into effect on Jan. 1, aims to:
1) Establish more non-university type education offering vocational programs lasting for three years.
2) Make it possible to establish private institutions of higher education.
3) Change the status of colleges and universities.
4) Evaluate the quality of higher education institutions and the quality of accrediting activities conducted by the Accreditation Commission.
5) Prepare and publish an annual report on the activities and financing of all institutions.
6) Guarantee that higher education remains free of charge except for registration fees.